The principles behind the way I eat are simple and easy to follow.
1. I believe for a person not to be hungry they must eat every 3 to 3.5 hours. 5 meals per day starting after awakening. A 6th meal can be added in if still hungry at the end of the day.
2. All meals and snacks MUST be a protein paired with a carb. (i.e. grilled chicken with a sweet potato, turkey breast with green beans.) There are many kinds of carbs, but for our purposes, we DO NOT LIMIT CARBS. However, do choose to NOT eat processed carbs. ALWAYS eat complex carbohydrates (brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans). Complex carbohydrates do not break down as quickly as processed carbohydrates resulting in your feeling full, longer. These kind of carbohydrates will not raise your blood sugar, making our body work harder then it needs to by releasing insulin to return your blood sugar levels back to normal. And remember, some carbohydrates are also protein sources and can make a complete meal. An example is Quinoa.
3. Choose lean proteins over high/saturated fatty proteins. Chicken breast without skin, turkey breast, pork loin are some examples. (these are not deli meats, either. They are unprocessed.)
3. Stay away from hydrogenated vegetable oils. These are bad for you! Instead choose good for you oils that won’t clog your arteries. Some examples are canola oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. MMMmmmmm…..coconut oil! YUMMY!!!
4. Fruits are good for you. I especially like apples, pears, berries and bananas. They can be used to sweeten things naturally, and are good to add to smoothies and oatmeal.
5. NEVER skip breakfast. Studies have shown that people who skip breakfast tend to binge later in the day. DON’T DO IT!!! And remember to pair a protein with a carb. One serving of oatmeal with 4 hardboiled egg whites is a good example. There are so many options!
6. Stay away from foods you cannot pronounce, or foods that have more then a few ingredients. If there is a laundry list of ingredients, more then likely it’s not going to be good for you. If it has MSG, run the other way! If there are preservatives, leave it on the shelf. Most boxed foods are LOADED with preservatives and sodium. You may be surprised at how fast that excess water weight comes off when you don’t eat processed foods.
Remember: No one ever got fat or unhealthy from eating fruits and veggies. LOAD ‘em UP!!!